Re: Copyright - copying for preservation?

Subject: Re: Copyright - copying for preservation?
From: John Mitchell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:08:31 -0400
While I agree that the copying here is no different than reproducing a book
onto nice acid-free paper and in large print because the old fine-type cheap
paperback is dog-eared, yellowing, and falling apart, I do take issue with the
implied license comment ("and an implied license to view the contents as long
as it
works."). No one needs a license, implied or direct, to watch a movie or read
a book. Sneaking into a theater without paying is not copyright infringement.
Neither is watching a stolen infringing copy. There is no exclusive right of
non-public performance anywhere in the world that I know of. (The "licensed
for home use" language appearing on some DVDs is simply bogus, the same as my
neighbor licensing me permission to drive on our public street.)

John

(Sent from o#? mobile)