Re: E-Reserves question

Subject: Re: E-Reserves question
From: Sandy Thatcher <sandy.thatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:41:19 -0500
Interesting that you should mention CONFU's e-reserve guidelines. Yours is not the only library whose policy has been influenced by them. In fact, in a survey I helped conduct some ten years ago, it became clear that the CONFU standard, though never officially endorsed by CONFU itself, has become a de facto standard throughout the country.

The CONFU guidelines were drafted by Kenny Crews (who was an expert witness in the GSU case). I was the primary representative for the AAUP in negotiating language that would allow the AAUP to endorse the guidelines, and the language of point 4 you quote was something that I recommended as key to making it possible for the AAUP to support the guidelines. The guidelines were endorsed not only by the AAUP but by a number of other groups including the ACLS and several smaller library associations, but not the ARL or ALA. They, like the AAP, felt they could succeed in lobbying Congress to pass legislation more favorable to their interests. That, of course, did not happen. A major opportunity was lost, in my opinion, but I was pleased that many libraries endorsed the guidelines in de facto fashion anyway.

Sandy Thatcher