Re: E-Reserves question

Subject: Re: E-Reserves question
From: ESperr@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:43:32 -0400
Perhaps the CONFU "Fair use guidelines for electronic reserves systems"
(http://copyright.lib.utexas.edu/rsrvguid.html) might be of some assistance? I
certainly hope so, as our own campus policy has been informed by them. All the
caveats noted for CONTU, etc. about this not being "the law" still apply of
course.

Under "scope", we see point 3: "Electronic reserve systems should
not include any material unless the instructor, the library, or another unit
of the educational institution possesses a lawfully obtained copy." This would
seem to indicate that ILL is a-ok.

However, I *might* be a little worried about point 4: "The total amount of
material included in electronic reserve systems for a specific course as a
matter of fair use should be a small proportion of the total assigned reading
for a particular course." Depending on the total reading assigned, eleven
articles seems to shade close to coursepack territory -- a place where factor
four might loom larger...

   >Faculty member wants to put 11 articles obtained from ILL on E-Reserves.
   >What are your thoughts on this?  Fair use or not?
   >--
   >David A. Scott
   >Access Services Librarian
   >Ferris Library for Information Technology&  Education

Ed Sperr, M.L.I.S.
Copyright and Electronic Resources Officer
St. George's University
esperr@xxxxxxx