Re: digital-copyright Digest 12 Jan 2012 16:00:01 -0000 Issue 1123

Subject: Re: digital-copyright Digest 12 Jan 2012 16:00:01 -0000 Issue 1123
From: "Elizabeth J. Pyatt" <ejp10@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:12:37 -0500
I suspect this came up because the instructor has had a YouTube video
disappear before.

The TEACH Act does allow for videos to be streamed within a password protected
like Blackboard area much as in a classroom, but I would recommend working
with the Library to get access to a more permanent copy (NOT from YouTube, but
from the author) and verify that the use is compliant with the TEACH Act.

FWIW - Our online course shops work with publishers to obtain permission
before digitizing and streaming video.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth

On Jan 12, 2012, at 11:00 AM, digital-copyright-digest-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> I gave a copyright presentation to faculty today (yay!) and I got some
> questions I couldn't answer.  I'll post them separately, so I can keep
> track of the answers easier.
>
> I told them that it was okay to put links to YouTube videos in their
> class
> materials.  One professor asked a related question:  *Is it was okay
> download the video instead, and provide a copy to students within
> Blackboard?*
>
> Can you help me answer that question?
>
> Cynthia

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=