RE: What if the students don't buy the book? Copyright question

Subject: RE: What if the students don't buy the book? Copyright question
From: "Ingrassia, Barbara" <Barbara.Ingrassia@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:08:30 -0500
In my discussions with our major publishers, I have learned that the key word
is ADOPTED.  If the faculty person registers with the publisher of a text that
it has been officially ADOPTED (and the bookstore stocks some copies), then
the publisher generally will provide access to "electronic learning
materials."  Those usually include access to an e-version of the text, and the
images can be used.  "Recommended," "Optional," "Supplemental," "For further
study" usually won't qualify.

We have posted publisher "policies" and contact info on our Copyright
Resources LibGuide.

Often the student version of the textbook includes a unique passcode which the
purchasing student can use to access the e-version, but the "terms and
conditions of use" are very strict.

It is best to check the publisher's website/regional rep for the policies for
a particular text. They are subject to change in this digital age.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Barb

NOTE: This should not be construed as legal advice.
For legal advice, please consult your attorney.

Barbara C. Ingrassia, MLS, AHIP
Head, Copyright and Licensing
The Lamar Soutter Library
55 Lake Avenue N.
Worcester, MA 01655

508-856-1041 (phone)
508-856-5039 (fax)

Barbara.ingrassia@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://library.umassmed.edu

The Lamar Soutter Library: Leader in Service and Learning