Re: Digitized Music in online courses

Subject: Re: Digitized Music in online courses
From: John Mitchell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:11:01 -0700
"licenses trump fair use" is a maximalist approach I believe to be unfounded
in copyright law and contrary to public policy.

The copyrights themselves do not extend to fair use. (The initial grant of all
of the exclusive rights is "subject to" fair use.)

Second, there is a huge public policy interest in fair use, which the Supreme
Court has repeatedly recognized as among the "traditional contours" of
copyright law, and necessary to maintain the First Amendment's fullness.

Fair use is, also, akin to laws protecting employees (e.g., freedom from
discrimination, right to minimum wage, safe workplace).

If license agreements could trump fair use, there would be little reason not
to allow employers to have prospective employees waive all of their rights as
a condition of employment.

Using licenses to nullify fair use would be like asking the genie, on the
final wish granted, for unlimited wishes. It is nothing more than conditioning
the exercise of a limited exclusive right on making the right unlimited.
Courts should damn them.

John