RE: [digital-copyright] RE: Amazon streaming video for classroom use?

Subject: RE: [digital-copyright] RE: Amazon streaming video for classroom use?
From: Katie Fortney <Katie.Fortney@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 16:54:09 +0000
For the sake of fun, this is how I'd argue that classroom use isn't
necessarily a public performance:

110 says "Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, the following are not
infringements of copyright" not "notwithstanding that these would otherwise be
public performances," or even "notwithstanding section 106(4)."

108 has similar language. It says "Except as otherwise provided in this title
and notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement
of copyright for a library or archives..." 108 then lists some things like
108(b) that most people wouldn't consider a copyright violation even without
section 108 - they'd be okay under fair use. 108 just calls out some very
specific safe harbors so that people don't have to do their own fair use
analysis.

Couldn't 110(1) be viewed as a parallel, calling out a specific safe harbor so
that people don't have to worry about whether a classroom performance was
public or not?

Then you'd just have to deal with the definition of publicly. Classrooms are
not "open to the public" generally, especially these days. And depending on
the class (a 12 person seminar vs a 200-person lecture), they're not
necessarily a gathering of a "substantial number" of persons.

Of course practically speaking, I agree that for any Amazon/Netflix content,
the terms of service are going to be the real issue.

Katie Fortney, J.D., M.L.I.S.
Copyright Management Officer
California Digital Library
415 20th Street, 4th Floor