[digital-copyright] Re: Copyright protected works used in ETD and made accessible via institutional repository

Subject: [digital-copyright] Re: Copyright protected works used in ETD and made accessible via institutional repository
From: Nora Allred <nsallred@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:03:17 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

Thank you very much for the response so far.  You have given me some good
insights to share with my IR colleagues.  As a STEM university we see many
theses which are composed of the thesis author's previously published (in
journals) research.  In these cases the student always obtains permission
to reuse the article from the journal publisher (rights holder).  Do the
same considerations apply here when thinking about the IR?  Making what is
essentially three or four published articles open access as a thesis?  My
knee-jerk response would be "um, no," But my knee-jerk just doesn't carry
the weight it used to, so I turn to you, learned colleagues.

(And many thanks for the ETD-L list, I have joined and am checking out the
archives now.)

With Many Thanks,
Nora