Re: [stella] POLL

Subject: Re: [stella] POLL
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 23:40:20 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Mike St. Clair wrote:
> Someone, perhaps Rob Fulop, once stated that it took a year of full-time
> work to release a quality arcade-style 2600 game.  I don't expect to see
> a high volume of great games in the near future when you consider that
> practically nobody will be able to devote such time to a project.  I'd
> certainly expect a part-timer to take at least a couple of years to write
> an absolutely killer game, especially given the fact that we are mostly
> novices.

The advantage now over 1981 when Rob wrote Missile Command is that the
tools are a lot better, and all the "tricks" have been discovered.  The
purpose of this list is to get away from the "every programmer is an
island" mindset and to pool knowledge and resources to cut development
time.

The growing amount of source code and disassemblies is a good way to
rediscover these "tricks"--and reuse them.

We should try to avoid having to constantly reinvent the wheel, either
collectively or individually.  There ARE some tried and true methods to
acheive certain results and this list should be a clearing house for this
information.

Maybe we should work on a 2600 programming techniques FAQ...