Re: [stella] POLL

Subject: Re: [stella] POLL
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 10:59:54 -0800
At 06:18 PM 3/3/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Beginner/Intermediate, but we should define in a better way the meaning of
>these terms...

2600 Programming skill levels:

Beginner - capable of doing Pong variants or Combat or static board games,
games that only use what the 2600 was originally designed to do.  All
traditional playfield graphics, limited if any sprite reuse.  No multicolor
sprites or playfield tricks, no scrolling of any kind.

Intermediate - Capable of doing Space Invaders, Missile Command, Asteroids,
early Activision style games, games which push the envelope moderately.
Features include simple sprite sharing and cloning routines, simple but
functional sprite movement, some but not much multicolor in the sprites,
still using some traditional blocky background graphics, X or Y scrolling.

Advanced - Capable of doing Solaris, Supercharger Frogger, games which push
the envelope to the limit.  Features include 30hz flicker intelligent
sprite sharing routines, extensive sprite color register changes per
scanline, extensive sprite reuse to snazz up playfield graphics, smooth
animation and AI, playfield graphics used mostly just as a color "fill"
with sprites used to clean up the blocky edges and add detail.

>So: why don't we join our efforts and write a game together?

The only problem here is the "too many cooks spoil the broth" problem.  It
may be difficult to actually have people collaborate on the code itself as
opposed to simply offering advice.  It wouldn't hurt, though, to
collectively pick a project and then split out various tasks (graphics
design, sound, animation, etc...) to various people that are more
specialized for each task than one person could be at all of it.

I take some responsibility for sitting back on this list and not providing
the necessary shot in the arm that it needed to get the ball rolling.  I'm
glad that this poll is getting people to talk more openly and to help build
strategies that will help move us ahead towards the goal of some nice
finished programs...