[stella] Let's get positive--2600 TUTORIAL

Subject: [stella] Let's get positive--2600 TUTORIAL
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 18:37:28 -0800
At 07:10 PM 3/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Well, that's nice.  It's a bit hard to make sense when the facts are
>completely unavailable.

That's the attitude I endured from some people in rgvc about the
Supercharger CD during its long development cycle.  Let's just say I've
learned not to hype something too much unless I am confident it will come
to pass as expected, especially when I am being put under an inquisitor's
spotlight the way you are.  Things are fluid right now and I can make few
firm promises.  You've already expressed your pessimism over one of the
projects I feel would have a positive impact on 2600 programmers so it may
be best to play some of this close to the vest until they get closer to
fruition lest I open myself to unwanted criticism from the naysayers.  But
it's useful for me to say that I DO currently have 3 Atari 2600 projects in
the oven right now.  At least by now people should realize that these
projects are worth the wait.

I'm doing the best I can just like everyone else, so show a little faith
and calm down.  We are both on the same side (I think).

I have other more modest plans when it comes to the list in particular, and
the number one item on the agenda is indeed the creation of a more complete
and advanced Atari 2600 programming tutorial, an evolution of my "FAQ"
notion.  Nothing of this kind has ever been produced.  Existing information
is scattered and incomplete.  Even the "official" 2600 programming guide
for in-house Atari programmers only covered the basics, didn't it?

I'd like to hear from people on the list about what they feel about this as
a good cooperative project for the members.

I think a completed reference like this would be invaluable to potential
programmers the way books like "De Re Atari" or "Mapping the Atari" were to
the Atari8 crowd (both of which went far beyond simple memory maps into
covering display list tricks, scrolling, redefined character sets, and PMG
techniques).