[stella] carts, carts, carts

Subject: [stella] carts, carts, carts
From: "Mike St. Clair" <mstclair@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 19:30:11 -0500 (EST)
Gosh, I'm not the moderator here or anything, but can we drop the
cart vs. .bin .wav debate?  We're just going to argue it forever.  Based
on the sample of responses so far, it seems that.

a) The majority of the people on this list prefer carts, and believe that
   the collecting clientele prefers carts.  Now, obviously if there is
   something that you can only do on the SC, a cart is not an option.  But
   it seems that even the most active programmers on the list have ideas
   that would not necessarily benefit from the SC.  Heck, Solaris isn't a
   SC game.  Anyhow, count me in this list.  As I stated once before,
   based on the response to Okie Dokie, I bet a thousand carts could have
   been sold if it were even publicised on the net and snailmail 'zines,
   and that's without even trying to 'grow' the collector base.  Also
   important to note is that millions of people have 2600s, even if they
   are gathering dust, and a *lot* fewer have SCs.  People are nostalgic
   for *carts*.  <getting off the cart soapbox>.

2) Glenn is on the anti-cart side.  And maybe a few folks are with him.
   Glenn may have what might be called a conflict of interest, because
   he envisions himself as a producer/editor/catalyst/whatever, and
   he's like to see the fruits of everyone's labor on this list end
   up on his next compilation CD.  But hey, we all have conflicts of
   interest in life.

Just remember this, dear reader.  YOU are the creator.  You have ownership
rights over what you create.  Some of you may want the exposure that being
on Glenn's disc(s) will get you.  Some of you may find carts more
rewarding, both personally and perhaps even financially.  Some of you may
want to do both.  YOU own what YOU write, and you can control how it is
distributed and manufactured, and what royalties you get.  YOU may even
choose to release your work into the public domain.  The decisions are
YOURS.  Make an informed decision, but remember, "there are a lot of
different realities going around these days".

***Mike St. Clair***mstclair@xxxxxxxxx***irc:SaintMick***