Re: [stella] Making carts

Subject: Re: [stella] Making carts
From: fedeedw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Edward Federmeyer)
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:38:30 -0600 (CST)
>>>will be a while before games get that complicated.  Perhaps by then, we can
>>>get together on a design for a "generic" 8K/16K/whatever board, and make
>>>enough for everyone, so that the per-board costs are lower.  (ie, if I
>>
>>Here's a better idea.  Cannibalize Asteroids carts like you did for
>>the Pac-Man and Combats.  There must be other OC 8K games.  If worse
>>comes to worse, we can buy those bulk cartridges from Oshea for 60c
>>each.

Unfortunatly, they key to bank switched carts is inside the ROM chip
itself.  No EPROM would have that kind of bank-switching built in.
Using an 8K board might make things easier, but the cost of getting a
chip maker to create a custom EPROM (or ROM) with the custom bank
switching circuity needed, would be way more than the cost of having
a run of new PC boards made.

Ideally, we would have a "blank" board capable of taking a 74xx NOT gate
and standard 1/2/4K EPROM, or a few standard 74xx chips that impliment
bank switching, and a standard 8/16/32/64K EPROM.

This allows 1) ease of manufactuing 2) spreads the cost out even thinner.

EdF