[stella] Carts vs Tapes vs CDs vs BINs...

Subject: [stella] Carts vs Tapes vs CDs vs BINs...
From: crackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 04:15:42 -0500 (EST)

This isn't meant to be an argument. I'd just like to state my
opinions on the subject and be done with it.

1) Personally, I would much rather have a game on Cartridge than on any
   other media. Of course, if it's a multi-load supercharger game, then
   tape or CD will have to do.

2) Judging from the demand for Okie Dokie, I'd say that releasing a .BIN
   doesn't affect the sales of the official release. Infact, it may be
   a good idea to release a .BIN of your game (with at least one or two
   fully playable levels) just to get people interested in aquiring the
   game. Plus this way you don't have to worry about buying a new game
   only to discover it's crap.

3) Of all the concrete (non .BIN) release methods, the cassette tape is
   the cheapest in terms of material. Plus there's no overhead you make
   your product as you receive your orders.

4) Releasing a work on cartridge isn't all that hard, or expensive.
   From what I now understand, there is at least one person who goes
   "partners" with you. You send him the source code, he takes care of
   everything else. You wait for your cheques to come through the mail.
   Not a bad deal.

5) Even though not "everybody" has a Supercharger, lots of people do.
   How many supercharger CDs were sold? 300? How many orders were turned
   away? Every week there's one or two "Will trade my left one for a
   Supercharger CD". Plus, that Dan fellow has a considerable stock of
   the wee beasties at only $17 each. I think there are enough Supercharger
   owners out there to make it worth your while to support that market
   exclusively. Plus the number of Supercharger owners is growing.

6) Wether a product should be released in a Limited Run or on demand is
   up to the programmer and the programmer alone. I don't see anything
   unethical about making a product as a limited release, especially
   if a supercharger loadable .BIN of the game is available for download.
   The advantages of the limited run are...
   A) Those people who support the programmer by purchasing the release
      are rewarded later when the value of their purchase increases in
      collectable value.
   B) If the programmer wants to continue to make money from the hobby
      s/he will have to continue to write new games. This means more new
      games for all of us.
   The disadvantages of the limited run are...
   A) Not everyone who wants an official release will get one.
   B) If no .BIN is available to the public, then a lot of people will not
      even get to see the game. This would really suck.
   C) If people don't at least release demo .BINs of the games, it could
      lead to a lot of crappy games being sold as collectables. This will
      cause fewer people to be interested in Home-Spun 2600 games. This
      will mean the machine will suffer a second Crash.

7) Supercharger CDs are the most expensive release option. But in a few
   years when CD burners come down in price, it may be as feasable as
   doing cassette releases. While CDs are more expensive, there's no doubt
   in my mind that people would prefer a Supercharger CD over a cassette.

8) Ultimately how you release your product is your decision and you don't
   have to justify it to anyone. If you want to build a punched card reader
   for the 2600 and release your games on it, go ahead (did I mention I got
   my start in computer machine language programming on punched cards, very
   similar to your binary 'vapourators in many respects).

9) If you don't have a Supercharger grab one while you can. It makes
   testing the game on a real live 2600 very easy. Plus it'll let you move
   beyond the 4K limit that we currently face with carts. And the darn
   things only cost $17. Just post a message on R.G.V.C. with the title.
   "Hey Dan! I want to buy a Supercharger!" and you're sure to get his
   attention. Just like a shark can smell a drop of blood in a cubic mile
   of water. Dan can spot the word "Supercharger" in the sea of R.G.V.C.
   Plus it's worth it for Supercharger Frogger alone. Think about it,
   for the moment a supercharger only costs a dollar more than a home-spun
   2600 cartridge.

10) Since the retail disappearance of the 2600, we have had Home-spun
    cartridges released, home-spun Supercharger CDs release, and home-spun
    .BINs released. The carts sell well, the Supercharger CD went like
    hotcakes, and there's really no way to tell what kind of action a .BIN
    gets on the internet (maybe 5 people downloaded "Rescue Bira Bira"...
    I really don't know). So far the only media that hasn't been revived
    has been the Supercharger Cassette. For this reason I will release my
    first original game (I don't think "Rescue Bira Bira" would be a fair
    indication of how well a SC Cassette would sell (or a cartridge for that
    matter)) on Supercharger Cassette and share the results of the experiment
    with everyone on the mailing list (this is, unless someone beats me to
    it).

                                      CRACKERS
                           (Comments welcome from hell!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ad329/Profile.html  | \^^/