Re: [stella] Programming for Credit

Subject: Re: [stella] Programming for Credit
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 23:52:07 -0700 (MST)
>> If you want to have real fun, change the block size and playfield data and
>> see what kind of pictures you can draw.
>
>okay, some questions.
>
>1.)  is STA  TIM64T some sort of timer?

Yes.  The timer expires in A*64 cycles.

>2.)  What does the STA mean?

Store the accumulator (A-register) in the specified location.

>3.)  LDY #$08 ;how many scanlines is each block?
>     LDX  #$17 ;number of blocks of data. LDY * LDX = 192!
>
>	Are these height and width values?  I tried messing
>around with them and ended up with  some pretty strange stuff.

LDY #$08 states how many scanlines in each block.  Change it to 2
and the object will squish down.  He could have said LDY #8 since using
hexadecimal really isn't important in this case.

LDX #$17 (#23) seems to state how many bytes are in the graphic.

I'm afraid the way his demo is designed, you'll have to arrange it so that
X*Y is reasonably close to 192, lest you cause the screen to scroll.

>4.)  Is JMP essentially just a goto?

Yup.

>5.) LDX  PF0
>	What does this code do?

I don't know.  PF0 is a write-only register.

>7.) Crackers, didn't you say you had a small program that would
>let you create graphics for the 2600 instead of having to use graph paper?

He said he thought of writing one.  In fact, so did I.  I think I'll wait
until I'm done with my C++ class, as I'm pretty sure this task would be
better suited to an object-oriented programming language.

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/