Re: [stella] Disregard my irresponsible request

Subject: Re: [stella] Disregard my irresponsible request
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 15:08:20 +0200
>Nothing anymore.  It's just so danged convoluted.  It took me many
>passes to figure how to arrange my code and data, assemble the pieces,
>cut them up, splice them back together, and run makewav with the right
>control byte and start settings to get it all working.  Cripes, what
>were they thinking in designing the bit values of the control byte?
>Would it have been so difficult to provide a mode 1-2?  You'd think that
>would be the default.

It took me some time too to figuere out, that makewav uses mode 1-3 as
default for 6k games and not mode 2-3 like in 4k games.

>Seems to be working now.  Maybe there's an easier way, but I don't feel
>like dicking with it anymore so I'll write a script to handle it like
>this, I guess.  This keeps my source readily convertible to the F8
>bank-switching model I already had working.

I had that problem too. I solved it by modifying the MAKEROM program, that
came with the ASM65 assembler on the CD, so that it would create a 12k ROM
from $D000 to $FFFF internally and only save banks that have code assembled
into them. Since the 6507 only uses 13 address lines $D000 is the same as
$F000. That way you can easyly ORG bank1 at $D000, bank2 at $D800 and bank3
at $F800 using makewavs default values plus is is all in one sourcecode with
all the same symbollic names.

I think DASM uses a similar method.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

--