Re: [stella] 2600 emu for Amiga

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 emu for Amiga
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:29:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Nick S Bensema wrote:
> Perhaps it would be possible to write an Atari 2600 emulator for the Amiga.
> Perhaps, even, the creative use of copperlists could make it easier than
> on a PC or Mac or such things.  Is it possible to tell the Amiga to display

Not only that, but the Amiga has hardware sprites that may be analogous to
the 2600.  It also has a superlow NTSC resolution (320x200) available
which, when halved again, would be ultra fast for 2600 duty.

For instance, all it would take to do Piero's game, for instance, would be
to generate a 1-bit 320x200 display on the amiga and convert the color
register changes on the playfield to copperlists.  Any rainbow pattern
like that could be converted to analogous copperlists.  Then lay on
analogous sprites on top.

> Unfortunately nobody seems up to the challenge, as I have yet to hear of an
> Atari 8-bit emulator for the Amiga that is not a port of the Unix C version.

Exactly.  What may have been possible on an 030/50 OCS machine will wind
up requiring an 040/40 or 060/50 and a gfx card instead.

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/