Re: [stella] Cosmic Ark stars

Subject: Re: [stella] Cosmic Ark stars
From: danboris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dan Boris)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 13:22:46 -0400
> How did they do those nice blinking background stars in "Cosmic Ark"?
> They're not correctly emulated by PC Atari, and it's even more interesting
> that they look very different when I run Cosmic Ark on my Atari 2600 hacked
> for composite video output: instead of looking like stars in the sky, they
> seem to follow some strange, changing patterns...
>
> For greater fun, please answer without looking at the code :)

This, to me, is one of the big mysterys of the 2600. None of the current emulators (including my own) handle the stars correctly. I have looked at the code and stil can't figure out how it is done. The starts are definatly missiles, but on all the emulators they appear in a straight vertical line. It must have something to do with the horizontal motion registers.

						Dan Boris

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/