Re: [stella] Cosmic Ark stars

Subject: Re: [stella] Cosmic Ark stars
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 21:17:46 +0200
>I'm not sure the rainbow effect is really there but I think it is
>because there's a rainbow line (missle 0) along the left hand side at the
>very top of the screen after you press select or on the screen between
>rounds (i.e. the mountain screen).  I know it's hitting HMM0 around 21
>cycles into the scanline but i couldn't get it to produce the star effect.
>Maybe there isn't a star effect.  I can't verify it since I don't have
>a supercharger :-(  Anybody know where I can buy one at?
>
>If it's not a star effect you may not be able to see the rainbow line
>because of the 8 pixel HMOVE blanks (not sure).

I tried Rabbit Transit again. In the PAL version there is no starfield but
a setting sun instead. I also checked the NTSC version and it has some sort
of starfield effect.

Unfortunately Distella couldn't disassemble the ROM correctly, so I had to do
it by hand with a hex editor. Therefore this information is untested and
probably incorrect.

I think what Rabbit Transit does is loading HMM0 with $70. 18 cycles after
the next STA HMOVE it does STA HMCLR, wich ends at cycle 21 and seems to
trick the TIA, too.

I have not tested if the resulting starfield is the same as with a second
STA HMM0 or a different one, yet.

BTW Dan Mowczan at dano@xxxxxx used to sell shrinkwrapped Superchargers some
time ago on RGVC. Maybe you should try contacting him.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/