[stella] Color-cycling

Subject: [stella] Color-cycling
From: Lee Seitz <lkseitz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:15:48 -0500 (CDT)
Here's a question that's been bothering me for a while.  I asked on
the cvg mailing list, and no one could answer it for certain, so I'll
ask here.  I looked at the Stella doc and some of the commented source
code available and couldn't find the answer.

Is the color-cycling that games go through after they haven't been
played for a while in the hardware or the software?

My theory is that it's in the hardware, but the software can make a
call to start it sooner than usual.  I say this because it seems most
Atari games, particularly the early ones, *start* in the color-cycling
mode.  Most third party games tend to only do it after they've been
sitting for a while.  (If at all.  I haven't done any experiments to
test whether they all do or not.)

If someone would be kind enough to answer this, I would be ever so
grateful.  And I'll report back to the cvg mailing list.  Thanks!

--
   Lee K. Seitz * lkseitz@xxxxxxxxxx * http://fly.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/
Classic Video Games Nexus Maintainer (fly.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/cvg/nexus/)