Re: [stella] Color-cycling

Subject: Re: [stella] Color-cycling
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:24:12 -0700 (MST)

>Nick S Bensema boldly stated:
>>
>>IT'S SOFTWARE, I TELL YOU!  SOFTWARE!!!!
>>
>>Most games use an EOR or ADC on every write to color registers against a
>>memory location in RAM which holds zero when there's no attract mode, and
>>some pseudorandom number when there is.  I've seen the source code to Combat,
>>Defender, and Pitfall, and this is the method used in each of them.
>>
>>Not all games use the color cycling method as an attract mode.  Some games
>>have a "demo game" running, while others run a cute animation sequence.
>>See Joust, Ms. Pac-Man, and Moon Patrol.
>
>Thanks for the info.  Even after you've told me what to look for, I
>can't find it in the Combat code.  I gotta learn 6507 assembly
>someday.

By the way, the B&W switch is also software-based, which is why it only
works on certain games, and has additional functions on other games.

In Pitfall, for example, every color register went through something like this:

       LDA ColorToGet
       EOR $88
       AND $87
       STA ColorRegister

If the system is not in attract mode, $88 contained a zero, which meant
no bits were changed.  If it is in attract mode, $88 contains just about
any value.  Depending on that value, the color either becomes dimmer, or
brighter, or negatived, or otherwise altered.

In $87 there is either a $FF in color mode, or $0F in B&W mode.
This meant that the color was unaffected when in color mode, but in B&W
mode, all the bits that controlled hue were stripped, leaving a grayscale
version of the original color.