R: [stella] PCMSG24 - color/bw switch

Subject: R: [stella] PCMSG24 - color/bw switch
From: "Piero Cavina" <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:05:08 +0200
> Da: Chris Wilkson - MCD   <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> A: stella programmers' list <stella@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Oggetto: Re: [stella] PCMSG24 - color/bw switch
> Data: martedì 19 agosto 1997 22.14
>
> > >but the
> > >most important thing is the NTSC/PAL selector using the Color/BW
switch
> > >(Color=NTSC, BW=Pal).
> >
> > The game looks good, but I need to point out that I decided not to use
the color/bw switch foro Pal/NTSC because 7800's do not have one!  While
the pause switch does work like the color/bw switch, there is no way to
latch it on, so you will not be able to lock NTSC if you go that route.  I
had to settle for a difficulty switch on Okie Dokie.  At any rate, it's
food for thought!

Ok, but if NTSC is the default then the problem would be experienced only
by those in Europe who would play my game on a 7800... how many? :-)
[BTW... I bought my 7800 new with a lot of carts last year, from the firm
that had bought the remaining stock of the Atari Italy warehouse ;-)]

This is the good moment for a question I had in mind...

Can a 2600 program know if it is running on a 2600, a 7800 or an emulator?
And if it is loaded in ROM or in Supercharger RAM? (I would say 'yes' to
the last question...)

> How about a software latch?  Maybe somthing like this:  Have a ram
location
> dedicated to storing the video display mode.  A single bit would do.  Say
> NTSC=0, PAL=1.  During initialization, make NTSC the default display.

I modified my program to work in that way. The switch is checked at startup
and when Reset is pressed, so one with a PAL 7800 must load the program
with Pause pushed, or press Pause and Reset together to start a new game in
PAL.