Re: [stella] PCMSG 2.4 (ok, I've had enough...)

Subject: Re: [stella] PCMSG 2.4 (ok, I've had enough...)
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 15:54:43 +0200
>The PAL mode seems to work well on my TV, while I get a slightly floating
>image playing in NTSC on the PAL TV, which could be just normal.
>I would really like to hear from you NTSC people if it looks OK on your US
>TVs.

On my PAL TV the NTSC version sometimes looses the colour depending on the
number of enemies on the screen. I think your sprite positioning routine
sometimes runs a little longer than the timer would allow. Therefore shifting
some of the unused onscreen lines to the timer should fix the problem and
make a TV standard switch obsolete.

The enemy graphics seem to loose the top line, when they are on the left side
of the screen.

In 'no bouncing mode' you also shouldn't bounce off the sides of the screen.

I liked the green ship better than the grey one.

The boss mode should be more obvious, maybe by changing the the border colour
or a special sound effect, so that the player wouldn't waste bombs by trying
to shoot the last wave of asteroids.

The ship should always blink, when it has a crystal, like it was in the last
version, and not only when it can place the crystal.

But all in all it is a very good game. I like it.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg