Re: [stella] VGA vs. NTSC

Subject: Re: [stella] VGA vs. NTSC
From: Chris Wilkson - MCD <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:36:38 -0700 (PDT)
> Here's a related thing I'm wondering about.  Certain colors appear
> shifted on both the emulator and television.  That is, objects drawn at
> the exact same horizontal location will seem to be not quite as wide or
> perhaps drawn a teeny bit further to the right as you change only the
> color (darker, or lower luminosity seems to move further right).  Since

Greg,

Try to "ruin your eyes" sometime.  That is, sit *really* close to the tv
screen.  If you get close enough, (a few inches) you can see the individual
primary color pixels.  For example, a white dot actually has one red, one
blue, and one green pixel side by side. (I forget the real colors...please
no flames! :) )

In a video display, this allows what's called "artifacting" assuming that
your resolution is hig enough.  You can use colors that aren't available in
the official color set.

For you Coco fans, you'll remember that in PMODE 4 which was a black and white
only graphics mode, you could actually get red by using only the even numbered
horizontal pixels, and blue by using only the odd numbers.  Or maybe visa-versa.
To get a white vertical line, you had to draw 2 lines right next to each other.
The left edge of any white region would have a red tint, but the right edge
would have a blue tint.

-Chris

Hmmm.  Maybe if one were really adventurous, this could be used to get better
horizontal resolution on the 2600? Dunno.