[stella] stick/paddle combos

Subject: [stella] stick/paddle combos
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:24:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, kickass wrote:
> 2600 that looks like a 7800 w/ 4 joystick ports. The sticks are, to the
> best of my knowledge, the ONLY home sticks like those used in the arcade
> games Ikari Warriors/Heavy Barrel/ etc. (Where you have a joystick, and
> the stick itself rotates for other game control uses (gun pointing,

The Ikari warriors controllers have detents(sp?) like an old fashioned
channel selector on a TV.  It's not exactly the same as a true
paddle/stick combo.

The most famous console to feature a paddle/stick combo is the Astrocade,
which uses a small knob controller on top of a pistol-grip base.  It
worked well.  The Astrocade had 4 controller ports, BTW.

> REALLY love to see the Tron arcade game on an 80s game system (especially
> the king of systems (2600),) So far the only way I know of to play it is
> a pc emulator or the real thing...

MCP section could be done pretty well, as it's mainly just a variation of
breakout.