Re: [stella] correct behavior of multi.bin (Bob Colbert's game)

Subject: Re: [stella] correct behavior of multi.bin (Bob Colbert's game)
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 09:50:31 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Greg Troutman wrote:
> scanline.  Or maybe limit the sprite motion so that when they do
> intersect on a scanline, it occurs within a 48 pixel horizontal range,
> so you can combine them into a 6 byte RAM buffer and write that line via
> a 6 digit text trick.  Colors would warp on that one line though and it
> might not look much better than flicker...

This is exactly how Super Football works when the players line up at the
scrimage line.  When the sprites line up in such a way that they could be
replaced with a doubled or tripled sprite, you see the flicker momentarily
go away.  It's an awesome technique!  Normally putting sprites next to
eachother would INDUCE flicker, but in this case you can GET RID of
flicker.  In this case it only worked with identical sprite image data,
but you can, as we all know, redefine sprite images between copies.  But I
fear that doing so would suck all the CPU time out of the affected
scanlines which might throw the rest of the kernel out of whack, maybe
prevent the other sprite and missiles from occupying the same scanlines
where normally they could coexist.