Re: [stella] Latest version of my new game

Subject: Re: [stella] Latest version of my new game
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 14:45:45 -0800
Robert A. Colbert wrote:
>well, over my lunch I added collision detection using PCAE, it works >great with one limitation:  I did not add detection for clone objects >on items that have multiple copies.  Not because it doesn't seem >possible, I just ran out of time.  Anyway, the collision detection >checks to see if the shot enters the rectangular area occupied by a
>sprite.  It compensates for double and quadruple width sprites, as well >as any height sprite.  The detection is not as robust as that built >into the 2600's hardware, because it does not check to see if a >particular pixel in the rectangular area is "on".  I have played with >it a bit on the emulator and it exceeded my expectations.  I haven't >tried it on a real 2600, so it may jump all over the place if my timing >isn't right, so you'll have to wait until monday to see it (I'll work >on it a bit more this weekend).

Rescue does both collision tests.  If the 2600 doesn't report the type
of collision I'm testing, it just skips along, but if it does, then I
bounds test to isolate which sprites/platforms are involved.  I think
you can do it something like that without too much extra work to get the
full pixel-level collision checking you need.  The multiplexing is the
problem, but maybe not too big a problem if you stick with the tiny
bullets and move them one pixel at a time, they will have a great chance
of colliding during an ON phase, while passing over/through a good sized
target...

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/