Re: [stella] Combat questions aka Close to a new Mac Dev System!

Subject: Re: [stella] Combat questions aka Close to a new Mac Dev System!
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 18:57:31 -0700 (MST)
>> Well, you CAN, but if you make any changes to the code, those locations
>> will still point to the same location.  If the code is any larger or
>> smaller, the graphics might get garbled.  You can compensate for this by
>> using another origin pointer right before the sprite data to keep it
>
>Another approach would be to start the game off with a JMP around the
>data, and move the data right after the JMP.

Or you could omit the JMP entirely and just set the start vector address
to wherever the code begins.

>> Your assembler has GOT to have some means of evaluating the high and low
>> bytes of variables, though.  It's essential for many implementations of
>> indirect addressing.  Try eliminating the # sign.
>
>I have seen a number of decent 6502 assemblers, tho, that neglected to
>support the high and low-byte syntax for .byte and .word directives,
>since that's a fairly uncommon usage.

I used to see them in magazines all the time, and yes, I used them
in coding for both the Atari 8-bit and the Commodore 64.  I find
it very useful.  That way I can relocate my code wherever I want
to without having to modify anything else.