Re: [stella] PPC Mac Dev Kit... It's alive, HE'S ALIVE!!!!

Subject: Re: [stella] PPC Mac Dev Kit... It's alive, HE'S ALIVE!!!!
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 06:14:59 -0800
Ruffin Bailey wrote:

> >Are you sure that RASM doesn't support the "<" and ">" operators?
>
> 'Fraid so.  I tried just removing the "#"'s and RASM pointed to each of
> the "<"'s and ">"'s on a seperate line and said "Guess again."  I'm still
> not exacly sure what the #< and #> meant in Combat, but I could send the
> RASM manual to you if you're interested.  It's pretty short.

Normally, an assembler will assume you are referring to the contents of
memory when you use a symbol.  So, saying "SpriteTable .byte
SpriteAddressHi" will tell the assembler to load the data that is at the
location SpriteAddressHi, NOT the actual memory address of
SpriteAddressHi.  You need a way to over-ride that thinking and tell the
assembler to load the address of the label, not the data that is stored
there.  The #< and #> symbols are how DASM does it.  The # sign means
immediate data, which is the main distinction, and is standard across
all 6502 assemblers I've seen.  The < or > symbols are the HI vs. LO 8
bit portion of the 16 bit address and this part is handled differently
from one assembler to the next.  RASM obviously has it's own syntax
which you just need to figure out.  The Hex digits you manually stored
are the HI and LO addresses of the sprite data, but they could change if
you add, remove or relocate a single byte of the program and you don't
want to constantly change those numbers, hence the symbolic method.

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/