[stella] Re: a dream

Subject: [stella] Re: a dream
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 23:41:44 +0100
Glenn Saunders wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Piero Cavina wrote:
>> Is this only a dream? :-)
>
>Yes it is.  Someone I know spoke with Activision about the possibility of
>coding an emulator for the Playstation but when he later followed up, they
>practically forgot the entire conversation (beaurocracy).

Does this mean that they gave up after just one attempt..?

>I wanted to produce something similar to your dream, but Activision is not
>interested.

Things could have changed since then. There's the documentary.
Retro-compilations for the psx are selling, otherwise Namco wouldn't be
releasing volume 6, and Williams/Atari/Midway (I still haven't understood
who makes these things.. :-) their 3rd..

>The days of commercial 2600 emulator product are over, due to the decent
>freeware emulators, the presence of BINs on the net, the apathy of the
>game companies, and the unreasonable royalty demands of JTS-ATARI.

I wasn't dreaming of the Atari catalogue. Just activision, Starpath and
home-brew.

Such a project shouldn't cost very much to Activision, compared to any
modern production. The emulator could be a Stella port made by a single
programmer with a Yarouze. The research work for the Starpath games has
already been done, and most of the artwork could be taken from the
Activison Classics for PC. Royalties for the documentary and the games...
who knows :-)

Ciao,
 P.