Re: [stella] More Star Raiders questions.

Subject: Re: [stella] More Star Raiders questions.
From: PatMan <dgeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:10:08 -0500
>You don't happen to know if there was any difference between the 5200
>version and the one you're now talking about, do you?

I'm not sure (I've never really played either the computer version or
the 5200 -- I tried to play the second on an emulator, but the controls
are somewhat confusing with the layout of the emulated keypad), but
I would assume the two versions are pretty much identical, or very
minor differences...

On the 2600 Video Touch Pad:
>My question was both why did they bother to redesign it (which had to
>entail some expense) and why weren't any other keyboard games released?

Well, the original Keyboard controllers, while they would function,
do not seem as "convenient" -- you can place the VTP on a flat surface
and, because of the design, it will tend to stay "flatter" than the
Keyboard, which are thinner and smaller...  As to other keyboard
games that specifically use the VTP -- I'm not sure.  There were
other keyboard-compatible games (the Sesame Street games, Holey Moley)
but these were meant for the Kid's Controller, which works the same
as the VTP and Keyboard Controllers (I'm assuming Holey Moley was a
"kid's" game, and thus would use that controller)...

Also remember that Star Raiders II/The Last Starfighter *was* tenatively
planned for the 2600, and this would have used the VTP, but I don't believe
coding for this game was ever begun.  (I believe SR II was released for
the computers, and code modified into The Last Starfighter game that was
nearly complete for the 5200 -- shields do not function, but other than
that I believe the game is playable).