Re: [stella] a $16 question...

Subject: Re: [stella] a $16 question...
From: Chris Wilkson - MCD <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:35:44 -0800 (PST)
> > > So, say you went a little further and built a 27128 board with some
> > > decode gates and flip-flops that supported the same bank-switch
> > > addresses as Atari 16K...  How much time and expense?  Coding for this
> > > is a piece of cake, the dang boards are the only show-stopper to most
> > > people.
> >
> > Well, that's a little more complicated in terms of component layout.
> > Especially >compact< layout.  A few days, I'd say.  But if there's demand
> > here then let me know, and I'll do it and get back to you.
>
> This is a little sticky.  I'd be tempted to say, "Mark me down for a
> 100."  But I sure can't honestly ask you to plow ahead considering the
> expense.  Maybe if several of us committed to at least a few each to
> play around with, getting started on it would be justified.  I've got
> all the EPROMs I need and would be more than happy to finally focus on
> and clean up the less-than-fun, but works-in-an-emulator 16K version of
> Dark Mage and then work on a significantly expanded TPS (Space
> Taxi?)...  I figure a 16K game offering some neat twists to the 2600
> library could be justifiable to collectors in the 25 dollar range so it
> might work out okay.  Maybe?

Maybe.  At any rate, 100 boards is enough interest for me to do the design.
The cost of a bare board shouldn't be terrible.  And I think I can get away
with only 2 chips...I'll hafta dig out my bank switching info to verify that.
At any rate, I'll have an estimate for a EPROM-less board by Monday...

-Chris