[stella] Supercharger Questions

Subject: [stella] Supercharger Questions
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:53:24 -0500
Eric Christensen wrote:

>> Two games in a month? 15 days per game? :-O

> Well, I'm still not done with the games.. It will probably be another
> two weeks if I think realisticly about it.

Man, you could have made _huge_ bucks back in the late
70's and early 80's if you could churn out games that
quickly :)

A Supercharger question:
I'm still confused as to the use of Supercharger
RAM.  Here's an example from
http://www.primenet.com/~nickb/sctech.txt
showing how to write to ram:

ldx #$2f
cmp $f010,x
lda $f77b

This apparently does the equivalent of POKE $f77b,$3f
Since <$f010+$2f = $3f - but why the extra step?
Why not:

lda $f03f : lda $f77b

or at least:

ldx #$3f : cmp $f000,x : lda $f77b
or
cmp $f03f : lda $f77b
or
ldx #0 : cmp $f03f,x : lda $f77b ...

or how about a sta $f77b instead of the lda $f77b?

All my examples seem a little bit more obvious
in their intentions than the example from the docs,
although they're certainly helpful.

Is there a good reason to make the instructions even
less comprehensible?  Is it necessary?

Another question - what's the point in being able
to power up/down the Supercharger's ROM?  It's not
like extra RAM is available if the ROM is powered
down... is there some other effect I don't know
about - some side effect of having it enabled
that would make you want to disable it?
--
Robin Harbron  <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
   http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth