[stella] 6 digit score display and other ramblings

Subject: [stella] 6 digit score display and other ramblings
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:53:01 -0500
I managed to get a 6 digit score display working
today _without_ looking at anybody's code :)  I
couldn't managed to get both the last and second
last digit changed in time (only about half of
it would show properly) until I remember about the
txs/tsx commands - saved one more cycle over a
zero page ldx and got it to work! :)

It's currently using 19 bytes of RAM - 12 for
pointers to the "font" data, 6 for the score
(one byte per digit - I know this could be reduced
to 3 fairly easy, but I might want to use more
than 16 different characters in each spot) and 1
for temporary storage.

How few bytes of RAM does the best 6 digit
display use - or, rather than "best", "most
efficient"?

I didn't have to do any tricky "delay by a line"
sort of things for this routine - I think I picked
up the idea somewhere that this was necessary...
was I getting this routine mixed up with something
else?

What other classic A2600 routines are there to try
to code?  I'm not wanting to try working on a full
game yet - this is only my second little hack on
the 2600, and would like to get a bit more familiar
with the machine first.

And finally, here is my Atari 2600 development system:
2 Commodore 1702 monitors
C128(flat) with 512K REU
FD-2000 (1.6 meg 3.5" disk drive)
A2600 (4-button w/Supercharger)
$5 VCR from the Salvation Army shop

It's working really nicely - and the REU and fancy
drive aren't necessary - this rest of the system could
be purchased for $60 pretty easily :)
--
Robin Harbron    macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx
   http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth