Re: [stella] zero page 6-digit routine

Subject: Re: [stella] zero page 6-digit routine
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:36:12 -0500
Erik Mooney wrote:
> > So, what can be done with these spare 13 cycles? :)
>
> Color changes come immediately to mind.
>
> This isn't practical for anything but a demo or Supercharger, though -
> that much RAM isn't worth sacrificing for color changes or paddle-reading
> on lines containing the big sprite.

57 bytes out of 128? :)  I've never written a full game
for the A2600, but I'm sure that some games could get
by with the remaining 71... a few bytes could be saved
by saving the stack pointer externally to the routine,
I think...  and normally 12 bytes are taken up by the
zero page pointers - that's integrated into the self
modifying code, so we're left with "only" 45 bytes
above a regular 6 digit display.

Maybe some of the extra cycles could support some extra
jumps back into and out of ROM, for the non-selfmod
code, so we'd save RAM space, and still have a net gain
in cycles free?  I'll have to try that, and get this
thing moving left and right :)

Anyway, yes, it'd be impractical for some games, but not
all, I think.
--
Robin Harbron  <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
   http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth