Re: [stella] Controller issues

Subject: Re: [stella] Controller issues
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:58:19 +0200
At 22:44 12.04.98 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm sorry if I missed it (I've been gone for the last few days, and have
>hurriedly caught up on the new posts), but how does the 7800 read that
>second button?  Can 2600's read the second button on 7800 sticks, and if
>not, can 2600 games _played on a 7800_ be programmed to read that extra
>button for easter eggs or what-have-ya?

The 7800/2600 devellopers kit says, that you have to store #$14
to SWBCNT, to set two previously unused bits to output. On the
2600 SWCHB is hardwired to input, so I don't think the proline
controllers could be used on a VCS. I'm not sure, if the 2600
emulation in the 7800 sets SWCHB to input too, so I can't say
if 2600 games can access both buttons on the 7800. I wanted to
try it out, but my 7800 wouldn't work with my Supercharger.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg