Re: [stella] Arrrg, Arrrg, and Double Arrrg!!!

Subject: Re: [stella] Arrrg, Arrrg, and Double Arrrg!!!
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:15:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Greg Troutman wrote:

> Chris Cracknell wrote:
> > I've always wished they implimented a better horizontal positioning
> > routine in the 2600. Something like a one command HMOVE where you put a value
> > in it and the sprite goes to one of 256 horizontal locations.
>
> Then everything would have been single scanline!  And with more color
> cycled objects than any human could endure ;)

The reason the 2600 positions objects as it does is because poly-counter
logic is cheaper to implement than digital logic.  Believe me, they did
weigh the alternatives.  At the time it saved a significant amount of
money and since they developed a software conversion routine and were
anticipating that this routine, albeit CPU-hungry, would only be necessary
once at the top of the frame for each sprite (hence not knowing about the
HMOVE comb bug) it didn't seem like a big compromise.