Re: [stella] Six-sprite slot machine?

Subject: Re: [stella] Six-sprite slot machine?
From: Eric Fischer <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 22:06:32 -0500 (CDT)
> Well, there WAS a slot machine emulation game made for the 2600 called,
> appropriately enough, Slot Machine.  Not being a programmer (yet) and thus
> not versed in the techs (yet), I'm not sure if it used the six-sprite
> display routine, but it IS the closest you'll get to something that was
> made for the Atari.

You know, I had remembered that as being some playfield-only
monstrosity, but I just put the cartridge in and it does have three
16-pixel-wide shapes per scanline like I was planning to do, but
they're not tightly spaced like the standard 6-sprite approach.  All
the shapes seem to be bilaterally symmetric, so I'm guessing both
players are set to wide spacing and the same data is being put into
both of them, and the intervening 16 pixel space gives enough time to
do an indexed load.  It looks like there's something going on with the
vertical delay registers, too, because the right two digits of each
player's score are offset by a scanline from the left two digits.  Hmm.

Gee, I hope mine wouldn't have looked as ugly as this if I had
gone ahead and written it...

eric