Re: Re: [stella] Six-sprite slot machine?

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] Six-sprite slot machine?
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:26:20 +0200
>> If you wouldn't want to play it, why write it?  :)  Remember, writing
>> stuff that sucks to play just cause it's suited for the hardware is what
>> killed the Saturn and is crippling the N64.  Write something that we all
>> want to play.. I'm sure there's a better proof-of-concept thing for the
>> six-digit sprite than a slot machine.
>
>Well I'm not so sure it's a bad approach.  After a simple slot demo,
>it's not too big a leap to tweak the "wheels", adding user interaction,
>and doing some sort of puzzle game...  Who knows, maybe he'll end up
>with something even more popular than Zoop ;)  I think a lot of games
>may actually have started out as "just because" excercises/demos and
>grew from there.

I agree to this. The arcade Q*bert also started out as such a demo,
giving us some great ports, as well as - finally - the sequel, Faster
Harder More Challenging Q*bert, "nearly" released last Friday.
But speaking of that, what games WOULD you want to play on the 2600?
Time for a little survey, I think. I'll give some suggestions, some of
the games I'm thinking about eventually to write, but you can of course
request anything you want... if it will be done is another thing :)

1. Plotting aka Kikugi (as discussed earlier)

2. Pen-Kun wars aka Penguin Wars aka Animal Wars

3. Marble Madness

4. Palamedes (should be doable in b/w)

5. another car racing game

6. an Arkanoid-style game

7. a Song Contest game (you have to kiss as many visitors as possible
and climb around the building while singing your song (-: )

8. Elevator Action

9. Manhattan

With love (and my first game yet to write)
Kurt Woloch