Re: [stella] playfield on-the-fly updates

Subject: Re: [stella] playfield on-the-fly updates
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 20:01:21 +1000
>I've considered that flashing might be used in another Pac-Man
>port.  One frame would render the maze, and one would render the
>dots.

I could have a sample 4-colour pacman playfield up in a couple hours, if
anyone is really interested in what it'd look like.  Gotta be more than a
couple of people express interest, though, to make me do it :)

Strangely, I have already written several pacmans - officially - including
Super Pacman and Pacman Junior on the C64 (both released) - way back when -
and my own Atari 800 pacman clone even earlier than that :)

Hate to see it called "that flashing", though ... as it seems to be my baby,
I claim naming rights.  I christen it uh... mmmh... the 4 colour playfield.
You can tell I'm a programmer, can't you?

> The maze would be blue on black background (like it's SUPPOSED
>to be) while the dots would be greyish or yellow.  This way we
>could create a more arcade-accurate maze and a less strenuous kernel
>per-frame.  An additional advantage of this is that any other
>objects that are flashing on alternate frames will appear solid,
>in comparison.  Other details, though, are unresolved... including
>who will code this thing, and if me, when will I have the time?

Well, maybe me after I've finished project #1 :)  But I'm afraid I'd be sued
if I really tried to release the thing.  We'll have to rename it munchman or
something ;)  I expect this would be quite a quick project.

>A flashing routine with a frequency of 1/2, which I imagine your concept
>to be

Yes, I am sticking with a 1:1 ratio for each of the two playfields - that
is, they display on alternate TV frames, giving 30Hz on NTSC, and 25Hz on
PAL.

Cheers