Re: [stella] PUSH playable demo #1

Subject: Re: [stella] PUSH playable demo #1
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 12:30:15 -0700 (MST)
> OK, here it is.  #1 demo of a single screen showing the basic gameplay.
> This is sort of a test-bed, but showing the style of a game I'd like to
> write for the 2600.  You gotta remember that this is really really really
> early stages - but I thought I'd let some of you have a play around, because
> its quite challenging (?).  The graphics in this demo are 100% playfield (no
> sprites at all), and this uses the 4 colour playfield that I was developing
> earlier.  Some using emulators will see a LOT of flicker.  You can adjust
> your frame rate to minimise this.  The flicker should be minimal on the
> actual hardware.  Please note, the colours are tricky because of the
> mechanics of the 4 colour playfield - I CANNOT choose any colours I want -
> so don't be harsh on those :)

... while it's not so horrible for me to look at, at least on the emulator,

though the flicker would be a LOT less obvious if you blended the Amidar
type of color blending with the Stellar Track text style of alternate-
scanline flashing.  Download Dark Mage from my home page if you don't
have Stellar Track.

Something like this would be more bearable:

Frame 1      Frame 2

****            ****
****            ****
    ****    ****
    ****    ****
****            ****
****            ****
    ****    ****
    ****    ****

I gave you two scanlines at a time because you might need some
leeway.  You should bargain for whatever cycle time you can get so
that you can make calculations for the next row of tiles.  Without
any color changes, this would produce a three-color playfield.
With color changes every frame, it would give you a cute checkered
pattern blended with the background.

If that doesn't work, this might do:

Frame 1      Frame 2

             ********
             ********
********
********
             ********
             ********
********
********

Accompany this with color changes every two scanlines to make the color
consistent.

This might seem a bit ambitious for now, but don't sweat it.  For now, I'd
work on making the player into a sprite.  It'll look way better.