Re: [stella] watching the processor run

Subject: Re: [stella] watching the processor run
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 10:18:45 +0200
Chris Wilkson wrote:

>Regarding using batteries.  Yeah, this is great.  But 7V is about the limit.
>If you go much lower than this, you won't have enough cushion for internal
>regulation and your +5V will suffer.  The first symptoms will be color shifts
>fading, and/or loss.  It's a toss up whether the video sync or the processors
>will give up first, but it will happen around 6.5V.  These votages will vary
>from machine to machine.  Lead-acid batteries are better than Nicads.  4
cells
>gives you roughly 8V and the energy capacity is greater...they last longer.
>About 5 hours.  6 or 7 if you're willing to live with the symptoms above.

Erm, what? The energy capacity? I think this depends on the capacity of
the cells you use. You can't say in general "the capacity of lead-acid
batteries is higher than that of NC ones" or vice-versa. Both are
available in different sizes and capacities. I don't know what you're
comparing here.
Well, in fact I tried it with the NC battery of my RC car, giving 7,2
Volts. The 300 mA was measured with a multimeter hooked between the
battery and the 2600. It was infact somewhat below 300 mA. So, assuming
the battery had 1,4 Ah (I think they were sold with this capacity then),
you can play about 4-5 hours with one charging. Note that the voltage
will stay ABOVE 7,2 volts during most of the time, unlike
one-way-batteries, saying 1,5 Volts on it, but going below that very
soon.
Of course, you need additional batteries for the screen...

There this "portable 2600 clone" comes to mind. I think it had a battery
compartment. Does anybody know what type of cells, and how many, were
used, and when this one would "give up", or if they did something to
reduce the current it needed?

With love (and many batteries to recharge)
Kurt Woloch