Re: [stella] optimization : sneaky fractional bit representation

Subject: Re: [stella] optimization : sneaky fractional bit representation
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <dankna@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 11:29:01 -0400 (EDT)
> A while ago I wrote on encoding using sub-bit resolution.
> It just occurred to me WHY I needed to do this on the NES - it was involved
> with creating a password for a large game, so that the player could come
> back and rejoin where he/she left off.  There were quite a large number of
> parameters that needed to be saved/restored, but it all had to fit into 6
> LETTERS and a few punctuation marks (eg: EP-NZE).  That gave very few bits
> (30, to be exact), and sub-bit encoding was therefore a great idea.
> By the way, I remembered coz I need to do it for my 2600 project :)

  Right.  When I'm decoding a game's password system, I HATE it when it works
modulo-whatever.  :-)

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<dankna@xxxxxxxxxx><dankna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
GCS/M d? s: a---:+++ C++++ U++ !P L+ !E W-- N o K !w !O M+ PS+ PE+++ Y
PGP- !t !5 !X R- tv-- b++++ DI D---- G++>-- e !h !r y
rec.games.video.classic, NES, Atari 2600, C64, Mac yes Mac
It's 2:00 AM.  Do you know where your towel is?