[stella] Jim's heart will go on demo

Subject: [stella] Jim's heart will go on demo
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:31:57 +0200
Hello Folks!

This is my first demo. In remembering of Jim Nitchals, I called it
"Jim's heart will go on demo". I send the BIN along with the ASM source
code. I admit that by now it's just another variation of Nick's "How to
draw a playfield" demo. It runs fine on Z26 and PCAE, though I'm a
little confused by the pallettes of them. Z26 displays the "shadow" of
the ship darker than the surrounding water; PCAE displays it lighter
(which is obviously wrong). I'd like to know how it comes out on a real
NTSC Atari. The colors in PAL look better than I expected - at least on
PCAE - the only flaw here is the PINK sea.
Currently, the only user input it accepts is the Reset switch, which
brings the ship back up.
If you want to know what type of game this should get one day, if it
ever gets ready, please look at the source code. It's stated there very
clearly and thouroughly.

It's likely that I screwed some other things up. Does it have the
correct number of scanlines? Does it display color on PAL? Does it "not
confuse" the Supercharger's bank switch scheme? Sorry, but I don't have
a Supercharger to try these things out personally. I only work with my
386 without sound card and Z26 to test the code at home. Once a day,
then, I can test it on PCAE on the Pentium computer here, but still
without sound card.
I also don't know if the game actually CAN get the way I want
technically.
See, the ship is sinking, but I also wanted to add some color bars to
the background, which are NOT sinking, of course. There should be three
men standing on the ship, also color-striped. The men jumping down
should also be color-striped, starting on the ship, and jumping down to
the boat. There also should be some re-positioning of sprites to allow
more than one jumping man being displayed (maybe two or three at a time,
but not in the same scanline. I could do with a 4 or 8 scanline distance
between them). Also, the men in the boat should be color-striped, and
use both players. The boat should be a quad-wide player, and below that,
we'd eventually have a man in the water, also color-striped, and the
shark going for that man, starting at the boat scanline. Now the boat
and the shark could be the only two objects that DON'T need to be
color-striped.
I'm not sure if I can tweak all this out of the kernal, but I'll see
what I can do. Take this demo first. Suggestions are always welcome

With love (and a far-from-complete demo included)
Kurt Woloch