Re: [stella] Jim's heart will go on demo

Subject: Re: [stella] Jim's heart will go on demo
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:00:05 +0200
At 09:31 12.06.98 +0200, you wrote:
>draw a playfield" demo. It runs fine on Z26 and PCAE, though I'm a
>little confused by the pallettes of them. Z26 displays the "shadow" of
>the ship darker than the surrounding water; PCAE displays it lighter
>(which is obviously wrong). I'd like to know how it comes out on a real
>NTSC Atari. The colors in PAL look better than I expected - at least on

I don't know, what it looks like on a real NTSC VCS, but according
to the programmers guide you hvae chosen light blue, dark blue and
torquise for the sky the sea and the shadow. It might be better, if
you use the same hue with different luminance values for them.

>It's likely that I screwed some other things up. Does it have the
>correct number of scanlines? Does it display color on PAL? Does it "not
>confuse" the Supercharger's bank switch scheme? Sorry, but I don't have

The game runs stable on a real VCS, but it doesn't display colours
on my PAL TV. You need to add or remove one scanline to fix this.

>a Supercharger to try these things out personally. I only work with my
>386 without sound card and Z26 to test the code at home. Once a day,
>then, I can test it on PCAE on the Pentium computer here, but still
>without sound card.

If you want to do PAL VCS games, you should really get yourself
a Supercharger. Dan Mowczan (pinball@xxxxxxxx) still sells them
new in the box. The price has gone up to $23, so the longer you
wait, the more expensive they will be. I use one of his SCs
with my PAL VCS and it works perfectly fine.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg