Re: [stella] Jim's heart will go on demo

Subject: Re: [stella] Jim's heart will go on demo
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:15:55 +0200
Thank you all for your feedback on my first demo!

Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

>>draw a playfield" demo. It runs fine on Z26 and PCAE, though I'm a
>>little confused by the pallettes of them. Z26 displays the "shadow" of
>>the ship darker than the surrounding water; PCAE displays it lighter
>>(which is obviously wrong). I'd like to know how it comes out on a real
>>NTSC Atari. The colors in PAL look better than I expected - at least on

>I don't know, what it looks like on a real NTSC VCS, but according
>to the programmers guide you hvae chosen light blue, dark blue and
>torquise for the sky the sea and the shadow. It might be better, if
>you use the same hue with different luminance values for them.

Well, the reason for me to do this was that I wanted to have the sky
more greenish-looking, and at the same time,
lighter than the sea. The shadow color should be somewhat of a mixture
between the ship's brown and the sea's blue.

>The game runs stable on a real VCS, but it doesn't display colours
>on my PAL TV. You need to add or remove one scanline to fix this.

OK, I'd expected that, and I'll fix it...

>If you want to do PAL VCS games, you should really get yourself
>a Supercharger. Dan Mowczan (pinball@xxxxxxxx) still sells them
>new in the box. The price has gone up to $23, so the longer you
>wait, the more expensive they will be. I use one of his SCs
>with my PAL VCS and it works perfectly fine.

Hmmm, I'll consider doing this purchase.

Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux wrote:

>Nice demo Kurt :)  I have tried some possibilities for the "Shadowblue" color
>on NTSCand the best match I got for the color you want is $90 which is color
>1001 -> Light blue
>and luminosity 000 -> Black. It's a shadowy dark blue and it fits very nicely
>in the picture :)

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually, I think I'll drop the shadow
entirely in one of the next versions, for there's
something else to be displayed at these scanlines. I'm still curious if
on the real thing, the shadow now looks darker or brighter than the
surrounding water, with the colors as they are now.

>PS to others: Sorry if this reply is late and lame, but it's the first time I
>try myself at ATARI
>programming (although I've been coding for 7 years).

Oh, good! I tried to make my code as clearly as possible, hope you
didn't have a hard time with it. It'd be pleasant to hear that my demo
encouraged you to write something to... I'll reply to your demo in a
separate mail.

And finally, Andrew Davie wrote:

>Nice job, Kurt!
>Though, why a ship like that would sink on such a BEAUTIFUL day, I can't
>fathom.  Not a cloud in the sky - still blue water not a ripple to be seen
>;>)

Erm, how should I explain this? Well, we didn't find out the exact
reason why Jim passed away either, did we? So, don't ask why, just be
happy you actually have the opportunity to watch the ship sink - you
couldn't watch Jim's death to say goodbye at the end, could you?
Sorry if this sounded sarcastic.
No, I suppose the people on the ship are so busy with 2600 programming
that they didn't even realize their ship grounded. That's why no one
comes out of the ship while it's sinking... but I plan to change that.

>Looking forward to seeing your next version.

Yes, I'm looking forward to it too... it'll probably have SOUND, since
Tennessee introduced sound too... if I can find that darn documentation
again... well, maybe I'll look into Tennessee's code a little...
...ah yes, and of course a different number of scanlines for some PAL
color. By the way, does it lose color on NTSC too?

With love (and one scanline more or less to do)
Kurt Woloch