[stella] Is there an error in the Stella Manual?

Subject: [stella] Is there an error in the Stella Manual?
From: Chris Cracknell <crackers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 20:30:23 -0400 (EDT)
I think I might have my clock finished. The sprites are all doing what I
want them to and I just implimented a requested feature. A friend liked the
clock but didn't like the 24 hour format. So I made the B/W switch toggle
between a 12 hour and 24 hour clock. I got it working but I had a hard time
doing it. There seems to be a discepancy between what the Stella manual says
and what my 2600 says.

In the Stella Manual the data bits for SWCHB says:

D7 - P1 Difficulty
D6 - P0 difficulty
D5 - Unused
D4 - Unused
D3 - B/W Switch
D2 - Not Used
D1 - Game Select
D0 - Game Reset

But here is the code I had to use to read the B/W switch

joy     lda SWCHB
	and %0010000
	cmp %0010000
	bne swa
	lda HOURS
	cmp #$0c
	bpl swa
	lda #$17
	sta HOURS

On my 2600 D5 is the B/W switch, D3 is select, and D2 is reset.

Is there an error in the manual, my code, or is there something odd with
my 2600.

The next message will have the next beta version of my clock program.
I'm going to let it run for awhile to see if I have to further fine
tune the timing mechanisms. The graphics kernal has changed completely
since the very first clock program so the timing might not be the same.
(Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get to remove all those timing fixes I had
to put in the original one).

In anycase, could a PAL user tell me if the colour shows up on their
machine. And could somebody tell me if the B/W 24/12 Hour switch works
on their machine.

My butt hurts from sitting on this chair all day, and my eyes hurt from
staring at this monitor all day, and my brain is basically jello from
chasing down one bug after another all day. But I'm feeling pretty good
about this program.

Heck if this clock is done now then I can tackle the V-Pet program.
I would have finished it first by Randy was getting a lot of demand for
my clock program and the V-pet fad has kind of died out. Not to mention
that after having experienced a real V-pet it's one of those things that's
cute at first but very very quickly becomes an annoyance. Beta testing that
one is going to feel like pulling teeth. Sheeeesh!

                               CRACKERS
                     (Very sleepy from hell!!!!!!)

--

Collector of Atari 2600 carts - Accordionist - Bira Bira Devotee - Anime fan
***     http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html       | Crackers' Arts Base ***