Re: [stella] Sorry gang THIS is the final version. Really!

Subject: Re: [stella] Sorry gang THIS is the final version. Really!
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 18:19:21 +0200
At 01:28 14.09.98 -0400, you wrote:

>I do have a question though about this clock on PAL systems. Will it run
>accurately? The framerate is determined by software and my software runs
>at 60fps (almost) and the framerate is the seed for the clock routine
>so wouldn't it still run the same on a PAL system?

I left your program running only for a few minutes, but it seems,
that it looses about half a second every minute. That would
confirm the theoretical loss of 11 minutes per day, that I posted
about two days ago.

I took a quick look at the source code and counted only 242 scanlines
per frame. That is probably the reason, why you had to fix the time
so often. Also you should do a STA WSYNC before you turn on VSYNC,
in order to make sure you do three full scanlines of VSYNC.

To improve usability, it might be a good idea to make it possible
to reset the seconds and the frame counter to zero, or the clock
would always be off for a couple of seconds.

And you shouldn't name the source code files .BIN or you might
accidently loose it by compiling a binary over it. Besides that
it is confusing for the readers of this list too. ;-)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg