Re: RE>[stella] Atari 2600 and pop culture

Subject: Re: RE>[stella] Atari 2600 and pop culture
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:12:01 -0700 (MST)
> The sights and sounds of old videogames are part of the fabric of our pop
> culture now, probably MORESO than most modern games, just as any medium or
> genre's first great age has created its own icons.

FWIW, I found the soundtrack to the Super Mario Bros. movie in the
used section of a record store, and to my surprise, the track list
did not list the original game music.  That seems kind of silly,
since the movie was bad enough that nobody would buy the soundtrack
if the original music weren't on it.  That music begs for a remix
or cover of some kind.  I mean, it's burned into everyone's mind.

I hasten to add that video games have borrowed enough from existing
culture that sometimes it shows up in unexpected ways.  Listening
to Mozart might make me think of the Mario Bros. opener, and that
cool harp riff in the Nutcracker Ballet will no doubt remind me of
Crystal Castles.  Many Tetris games also borrow Nutcracker, and
other classical Russian music.