Re: [stella] RAM Cart?

Subject: Re: [stella] RAM Cart?
From: danboris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dan Boris)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:01:06 -0500
>hing instead of DRAM.
>
> Technology review for those that don't follow.
>

> SRAM or static ram holds all the data as long as the power supply is
> connected(many chips can hold data at lower voltages for battery backup)
> This is what I, and Pete used.  It is ideal because it is simple to
> use(can almost be a drop in for an EPROM cart), and can be battery backed.
> So the jist is that produceing an SRAM cart isn't really necessary?

Another interesting technology that would be useful for RAM carts is an SRAM with internal battery backup. Dallas Semi-conductor (and I am sure other companies) make these SRAMS. The have the same pinouts as normal SRAM IC's and are used in exactly the same way. They have the backup battery and associated circuitry build right into the chip so you don't even have to think about it. They are also not that expensive.

Dan Boris